Golf is one of the most popular games or sports played by seniors. Despite the fact that you are not young and energetic anymore, this cannot stop you from engaging in golf. Any senior golf player understands the importance of a good golf ball. A perfect golf ball can make it easier for you to play and also can help you perform better.
Different golf balls have different strengths. Depending on what you're looking to get, it can be a challenge finding a golf ball that best suits your needs. For example, if you are looking for distance, then a ball with a lower spin can help and if you are looking to score well, then a soft golf ball can easily be controlled. Most seniors are looking for a combination of distance and feel, which can be a challenge.
This article will guide you in selecting the best ball for a senior. We have provided you with a list of the best golf balls for seniors, in the market today.
Best Golf balls for seniors
From our research and experience, we came up with the 8 best golf balls for seniors. They include;
- Callaway Golf Supersoft balls- Our Top pick
- Titleist DT Trusoft golf balls-Best For Golfers who want a smooth feel
- Srixon Soft Feel Golf Balls-Best Value for money
- TaylorMade TP5 Golf ball-Best for windy areas
- Chromax Metallic M5 Golf Ball- Best for Visibility
- Wilson Smart Core Golf Balls-Best Budget option
- Srixon AD333 Golf Ball- Great for a moderate or a slower swing speed
- Bridgestone e6 Soft Golf Ball- Great performance
For a more comprehensive review of the above golf balls, then you should continue reading this article.
1. Callaway Golf SuperSoft Golf Balls
If you are in search of a ball with fast speeds and greater accuracy, then you should consider buying the Callaway Supersoft Golf balls. The Callaway Supersoft golf ball is a 2-piece golf ball that has low compression, which makes it perform quite well compared to other balls in the market today. It is also one of the softest balls on the market today.
The Callaway Supersoft golf balls are a recommended choice for senior golfers because they strike a good balance between distance and a great feel. It is designed to spin lower on full shots for a longer and straighter flight. These balls are available in a variety of bright and matte finishes that are easy to spot.
- Greater distance
- Affordable to many seniors
- Soft feel
- Excellent on the putting green
- A great choice for a beginner senior golfer
- Fast swing speeds
- Multiple vibrant colors
- Have hexagonal-shaped dimples that make it look unique and offer more control.
- Greater performance
- Some may not like its matte finish
- The soft feel makes it prone to damage or scratch
- It is not recommended for use by Skilled golfers, because they may feel a lack of control.
2. Titleist DT Trusoft golf balls
- Titleist DT TruSoft golf balls provide exceptionally soft feel on every shot.
- Impressive distance on full shots
- Advanced aerodynamics for consistent flight
- Short game playability
- Trusted quality and consistency
With Titleist Trusoft, making long-distance shots has been made easier. It is designed to give low spins on long shots. It features the TruTouch core technology that aids in low compression. It also boasts of the TruFlex cover technology that gives a soft feel for a better holding and dropping capacity and also to improve the performance of the ball.
It also features a modern aerodynamic design, which enables the ball to fly to a greater distance and a straight ball flight. The manufacturers have tried to ensure that this golf ball gives the seniors optimum performance by its compression and spin. It is one of the best golf balls for seniors, especially if you are looking for a combination of durability and steady performance.
- A soft and smooth feel
- Lower compression
- Low spin on longer shots
- Consistent on shots
- Improved ball flight mode
- Modern design
- Reasonable price
- Greater speeds.
- The performance is great for a short game
- Not as long as compared to other balls
- The swing feature of the ball is not the best
3. Srixon Soft Feel Golf Balls
- Get more control around the greens with a soft, thin cover.
- Must buy 2 or 4 dozen for special Father's Day promotion
- Soft, thin cover - provides more greenside spin and softer feel on all pitches,...
- 338 speed dimple pattern - the lower drag coefficient dimple pattern cuts...
Srixon has proven to be one of the reliable ball companies in the market today. They have balls for everyone and this specific one is best for senior golfers. This is because of its excellent performance and the value for money. It has an Ionomer cover, that is durable and has a great feel. It can cover very good distances for slow swing speeds.
The Srixon soft feel balls have a compression rating of 60, which makes them respond well to a slower golf swing. Its dimple pattern also gives the ball a good and straight flight. It is great for both beginners and advanced players since it is reasonably priced. It is also recommended for anyone that is looking for a golf ball that feels soft around the greens and covers a greater distance.
- An excellent performance
- Softcover that ensures a soft feel around the green
- A dimple design to give consistent results
- Firm on the outside which maximizes distance and launching shots
- Affordable compared to most golf balls companies and a great value for money
- Great alignment
- Durable and of high quality
- It is one of the longest
- It might not spin enough as expected by the very skilled golfers
- Might be too soft for some senior golfers.
4. TaylorMade TP5 Golf ball
- Softer cast urethane Dual-Spin cover increases groove interaction for more spin...
- Four increasingly stiff layers with HFM (High Flex Material)A increase ball...
- HFMA is a new material that improves energy transfer through the ball for more...
- Tri-fast core features lower compression for increased launch angle and less...
- Improved urethane compound cover and paint formula increases durability
TaylorMade TP5 golf balls are 5-layer ball construction that has unique features such as a proprietary HFM material. It also boasts of Tri-Fast Core and a Dual-Spin outer layer which allows the ball to perform excellently with every club. The TP5 model has been improved compared to the previous models because the 4th and 5th layers are now 30% stiffer, which adds durability. Also, the compression has been increased from 83 to 85, which is still in the range of a senior golfer.
TP5 is now faster than before. This golf ball features a less spin off the driver, which adds distance and also increasing accuracy. The feel of the putter is soft and smooth, which most senior golfers like. Other advantages of this great innovation include increased launch, reduced drag, better control, and playability around the greens. If you stay in an area that is windy, then this would be the best golf ball for seniors.
- Better control and performance
- 85 compression.
- A Soft Feel
- Great for windy areas
- Performs well on every club.
- Reduced drag
- Increased launch with less spin on the driver.
- Great distance
- New paint on 322 urethane cover.
- Losing the balls would be costly.
5. Chromax Metallic M5 Golf Ball
The Chromax Metallic M5 colored golf balls are 2-piece construction golf balls, with a 75 compression, superior durability, elasticity, and a high coefficient. It has a translucent High Flow poly-resin and Surlyn Cover and larger dimples that help to achieve a longer distance. The outer cover is made of a durable material that provides a greater spin for maximum distance and control. The balls are easily visible with a unique metallic color.
The coating of the ball enables senior golfers with fading eyesight, to easily find the balls. The balls are available in a variety of colors such as silver, neon green, gold, yellow, pink, orange, blue, purple, etc. With such bright colors, it is very unlikely to not spot the ball or spend too much time looking for it. So, if you are looking for a ball that is easy to find among other great features, then this is an ideal option for you.
- A wide range of bright colors for better visibility especially in harsh weather conditions.
- A Durable cover
- A strong core
- Long shots with extra roll
- a 75 compression
- Unique metallic design and colors
- The bright colors may distract other golfers.
6. Wilson Smart Core Golf Balls
The Wilson Smart Core golf ball gives a great performance for its attractive price. However, despite the price is very low, it has a few shortcomings. If you are on a budget then this is definitely a great option. The performance or features that you are going to sacrifice are very little compared to the savings you will make.
While this ball is cheap, it is simply because of the material used, which may cause it not to spin as much on shorter shots. However, it has a low swing speed player that will run the ball up to the green. They come in a packet of two dozens of balls, for less than the price of a dozen of most of the balls above. If you are looking for something cheap to start your golfing journey with, then look no further.
- Great performance for its price
- Quite affordable
- A soft
- Great distance
- Good value for money
- No spin on short game shots
7. Srixon AD333 Golf Ball
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Model Number: 133101
- Package Weight: 2.0 lb
- Material Name:Polypropylene
The Srixon AD333 is one of the reasonably priced golf balls considering the advantages you get. It uses three technologies combined in a two-piece construction golf ball that gives longer accurate distance, a better greenside control, and an improved iron. This AD333 golf ball has an aerodynamic speed and a Dimple pattern that helps in achieving a low drag for an accurate and straighter ball flight.
The Srixon AD333 comes in white and yellow color to assist senior golfers when they need to find the ball or visibility reduces due to weather changes. It has a Spin skin coating although it is not of the same level as the urethane covered ball. The aerodynamic dimple pattern and the great distance help in ensuring a stable golf ball spin even in harsh weather conditions. It has an accurate launch, a soft feel, and great ball speed for a perfect shot. If you have moderate swing speeds, then you should definitely consider the Srixon AD333 golf ball.
- Soft feel
- Competitively and reasonably priced
- Good distance off the tee
- Accurate launch
- Great ball speeds
- Bright colors for easier visibility
- You might lose grip around the green.
8. Bridgestone e6 Soft Golf Ball
- High performance design with a softer feel
- New Delta dimple design allows smoother air resistance around the ball to resist...
- Advanced mantle design for improved greenside spin and control
- Super soft surlyn cover and 3-piece design for low driver spin and improved...
- Longer, straighter driver distance
The Bridgestone e6 Soft ball is one that senior golfers find to be a great combination of great speeds, spin, and a smooth feel around the greens. It is one of a kind. It features moderate swing speeds and a two-piece construction that makes the ball easier to compress. This ball is also affordable compared to other brands that offer similar features. It is an unpopular brand but has produced this exceptional golf balls.
It is available in white and optic yellow colors. The Bridgestone e6 Soft golf balls have a soft but durable Surlyn cover. It also has a low compression core that gives the best ball flight offers a nice ball flight and a good amount of ball speed. This golf ball made it to our list because of its great performance and the company has been making quality golf balls for a while now.
- Excellent performance
- Excellent distance
- Tends to have a straight flight
- Highly visible with white and yellow balls
- Great feel
- Dimple design that gives a smooth air resistance
- Good accuracy
- Reasonably priced.
- Visual colors may cause confusion to other golfers
- There are prone to scratches because of their soft surface.
Buying Guide: Features to look out for when buying a golf ball for seniors
If you are a senior, you're not looking to waste money on golf balls that are not durable, especially if you are retired. Most golf balls for seniors are durable than those for young people. However, some companies are focused on creating soft golf balls and forget the fact that the balls should also be durable.
Everyone should be keen on choosing balls that are made of durable material. At a minimum, the best golf balls for seniors should be durable enough to last a whole round. If you can get one that lasts more than one round, then, the better.
As we grow older, our eyesight tends to become poorer. This is why it is important to buy a ball that can be easily seen, even at a distance. Durability won't be of any help if you can't find a ball. The alignment aids on the balls should be visible enough, however, you can decide to draw a line on the ball.
Avoid golf balls with distracting lines and logos, which may confuse your vision or distract you. Most seniors opt for brightly colored golf balls, to help them find the balls easily.
The swing speeds tend to reduce as the seniors get older. This is why seniors need a ball that is easy to hit a long way and get it around the green. Old golf balls, from around ten years ago, may lack this important feature. Avoid such balls because as your swing and golf games change, so should your ball.
The best golf ball should have compression levels that will help in increasing the distance. Finding a ball that gives you more distance is important for seniors.
Buying a very expensive ball would not be realistic, the same as buying very cheap balls. Cheap can be expensive. Most expensive golf balls tend to have more spins, even side spin, and mishits. With this kind of a ball, you could end up off target. A cheap ball could also be lacking some great features.
You don't want to spend too much on new balls but also you don't want to sacrifice a lot of performance for a cheap ball. A cost-effective option would be great. However, it is important to buy a ball that strikes a good balance between its performance and cost.
If you are looking to get a good distance out of a ball, then the feel is important. Most seniors refer to shots around the green as the scoring game because hitting a ball becomes crucial as one grows old. Some balls may feel like rocks, they can roll out and fly for a long distance. However, when they land around the green, there’s no backspin.
So, the best golf balls should have an amazing feel, but should also an increased distance. The putt should roll out easier and the short irons should allow enough spin.
Your location or the location of the golf club should have an effect on the choice of the ball you will buy. Places with links courses may roll out the ball further, although they may require more spinning for easier control around the greens, compared to places with softer courses. Coastal or windy areas may require a different ball that can stay below the wind.
The Two-piece golf ball tends to be the best for senior golfers. This is because they give more distance together with an average swing speed. So, if these are the features you are looking to get, then you should buy a two piece golf ball without any hesitation. However, the 3 piece golf balls are also great if you are looking to get more control and spin. A downside of the three piece balls is that you will lose distance. Therefore, choose the construction depending on what you are looking to achieve.
Dimples in golf balls are important since they aid in reducing air resistance and give golfers enhanced performance. For senior golfers, it is recommended to buy golf balls with wider and shallower dimples. This is because such a ball gives more distance. Balls with smaller and deeper dimples should be avoided at all costs.
A surlyn cover golf ball is the best when it comes to senior golfers because they are durable and affordable. Urethane cover balls are also great since they give a higher back spin, however, they are not as durable as the Surlyn cover balls. The Surlyn cover balls give the golfer more control and straighter ball shots with a low trajectory. Therefore, it is safe to safe to say that the type of cover you choose should be in line with what you are looking to achieve
1. What golf ball is best for slow swing speeds?
Most of the products listed above have slower swing speeds. However, if you are looking for the best golf balls with slow swing speeds, then, we would definitely recommend the Callaway Supersoft balls. This is because they are best known for having a combination of both an excellent distance and a great feel.
2. What compression golf ball should seniors use?
The best golf balls for seniors should have a low compression core. This is because the lower compression balls, as many of the expert golfers know, tend to have a straighter trajectory and goes for longer distances.
3. What golf ball should I use with an 80 mph swing speed?
The best golf balls to use with a swing speed of 80mph is the Bridgestone E6 soft golf ball. This is because it has a mantle layer that reduces back spin on long shots while allowing back spin on short shots. It also has a low compression core and it is one of the straightest balls in the market today. These features make it a great choice for the 80mph swing speed. If you are looking for one with a slower swing speed, then the above soft ball might not be the best option.
4. What are the best golf balls for high handicappers?
There are several golf balls that are best for high handicappers. Our top pick would be the Callaway Supersoft balls. This is because it has an amazing feel, a great value for money and its core design allows a low spin and gives a faster ball speed. Other golf balls that are best for high handicappers include the Srixon AD333, Bridgestone E6 Soft Balls, and Titleist Trusoft balls.